Guilsfield Arm (Nature reserve) Section (9a)
This section is NOT navigable.
The Guilsfield Arm, which is in parts a nature reserve, branches off from the main line of the canal at a point just above the top lock at Burgedin.
Believed to have been constructed around 1797, the two and a quarter mile long, level arm, terminated well short of the village of Guilsfield at Tyddyn where there was a basin, wharfs and Navigation Inn.
It was originally built to carry lime, lead and slate. Later, cargoes of coal were carried to Tyddyn where in 1828, a coal wharf was known to exist.
The towpath is now pleasant to walk. New stiles and gates have been installed along the whole of the route between Burgedin and Tyddyn Basin .